Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Week 22

So sorry that we are missing today again. I know it is frustrating.
We are all ready for spring!! Today was mostly a review with the addition
of participles. We were going to go over how to form a compound/complex sentence.
You can start with 2 simple sentences and make them compound by adding a FANBOY.
Then you add a dependent clause to that. You can do this by adding a who/which clause(adjectival dependent clause) or a www.asia.wub(adverbial clause). Adding a who/which clause is easier since they have done this in IEW.  We are reviewing the S-Vl-PA, and S-Vl-PN sentence patterns this week, so
I was going to have them give me a sentence with these patterns. This would be a good practice to see
if they remember these patterns.  Here is my example from class.
The dog is my friend. (S-Vl-PN)     The dog is cute.(S-Vl-PA)

Then combine to make it compound.
The dog is my friend , and he is cute.

Now add a dependent clause.

The dog, whose name is Jake, is my friend, and he is cute.
(I added an adjectival clause)

The dog is my friend , and he is cute because he has floppy ears.
(adverbial clause)

I was going to task sheet the sentence -    The dog, whose name is Jake, is my friend, and he is cute.

If you would like any explanation of this sentence let me know. It is hard to know how many of you
would like the answer. If you would like the answer to that sentence you may email me.There is nothing too complicated about the sentence. I was keeping it short so we could get through it.

The verbal we were going to talk about today is called the participle. Remember a verbal is a verb that is used as another part of speech.
A participle is a verb usually ending in -ed, -en, -t, or -ing used as an adjective.

The verbal chart is Chart Q. The lesson also gives a good description of a participle and how to diagram.
Some examples

The sleeping baby looked precious. (sleeping is a participle describing baby , so it is an adjective)

The burnt toast smelled bad. ( burnt is the participle describing toast and is an adjective)

The yelping puppies were loud.( yelping is a participle describing puppies and is an adjective)

Please read the lesson for Week 22. The adjective chart is the chart to review this week.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

1 comment:

  1. Can you give the quid et quo for the sentence "The dog, whose name is jake, ..." We know it's an adjectival clause with "is" as the verb and "name" as the subject of the subordinate clause, but what is "whose"? Thank you for your help! Julie Sacra. Djkjejs@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete