Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Week 13

Good Evening,

We went over a lot of new material today. I was not sure how everyone was taking all the information.
Please do let me know if you have questions. Moms, feel free to ask me questions in class or after class.
Also, do not hesitate to email or call me with any questions of concerns.  We will be covering the complex structure for several weeks, so please do not fear.

I introduced the indirect object today. Our new sentence pattern is the S-Vt-IO-DO.  Here are a few things I mentioned about indirect objects:
1. They can only be present when there is a direct object.
2. They will located between the transitive verb and the direct object.
3. They will not be part of a prepositional phrase.
4. Indirect objects are nouns or pronouns.
5. The indirect object answers the question " to whom or for whom ".
 For example in the sentence: I gave the dog a bone.  The subject is "I", the verb is "gave"
I would ask the first question- " I gave who or what?" The answer is " I gave a bone" Bone is
the direct object. Since I have a direct object, I can have an indirect object.
"dog" is the indirect object since it answers the question " I gave a bone to whom?

I introduced the complex structure today. We first went over the terms that are important to understand.
The memory work that I went over is found in week 4 and 5 of your EEL memory work in you student notebook.  We went over a clause, phrase, independent clause, dependent clause and a complex sentence.
There are two types of dependent clauses: adjectival and adverbial.  A complex sentence consists of an independent clause and one or more dependent clauses.
Adjectival Clauses
1. These are also known as who/which clauses in IEW.
2. They begin with a relative pronoun. (see the pronoun chart for a list of relative pronouns)
3. Modify nouns or pronouns and answer the questions that an adjective answers.
4. Are diagrammed with a dotted line connecting the adjectival subject to the noun it describes in the independent clause.

Adverbial Clauses
1. They begin with a subordinating conjunction. (also known as www.asia.wub on you conjunction memory work chart.)
2. They answer the same questions that adverbs answer: how, when why, where , how often , how much, to what extent, under what condition.
3. They are diagrammed by connecting the verb of the independent clause with the verb of the dependent clause by a dotted line.

What to do this week!!
1. Moms should read lesson 13 in the EEL guide.
2. Go over the above concepts with your child.
3. Work on sentences in lesson 13 of EEL guide.
4. Work on Chart M
5. Review Charts :A,E,F,H,I,L
6. Work on memorizing the following if your child does not know:
      FANBOY-Chart H
      www.asia.wub-Chart H
      The questions that adverbs and adjectives answers.-Charts I and L
       Linking verbs
       The list of prepostitions
       Memory work for week 4 and 5 with definitions of clauses,phrases,dependent and independent clause
      The list of relative pronouns


Please feel free to ask me questions!!



No comments:

Post a Comment