Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Week 6- EEL The moms won the game, and everyone received candy!!

Thanks so much for playing the relay game today in EEL! I think everyone had fun.
The moms won in both classes. Though I would have to say the win in the second class
was a little iffy. I introduced a lot of new material today. Please let me know if you have any
questions. The compound structure was introduced today. Chart G gives examples of the compound
structure listed out per purpose and pattern.  We went over that coordinating conjunctions connect
2 or more independent clauses to form a compound sentence. Chart H is the conjunction chart.
We are specifically looking at the coordinating conjunction section. Please have your child work on
memorizing the FANBOYS.  We also looked at the fact the conjunctions also connect words and phrases, and that we need to be aware of which they are connecting. Our new sentence pattern for this week
is the S-Vt-DO pattern. We introduced the direct object. We looked at several examples of this pattern
and how to diagram it. We also showed how to diagram a compound subject and compound verb.
Please do let me know if you have any questions.  Next week I am going to try to encourage
the kids to sit a little more in the front. I am unsure if there was some extra drawing and possible
bracelet making going on in the class. I am going to try to remember to talk to everyone about there
being no extra drawing on the white boards or other activities going on during class. I know it is hard
to sit at 2pm in the afternoon and listen. I also don't want to call on kids that may not know the answer
to get them to pay attention. I would appreciate you talking to them about trying to pay attention and answer
questions. I would love for everyone to try to raise their hands to answer. I don't want to call on anyone that
doesn't raise their hand , however, I would like a way to encourage those that do not raise their hand to
try and start. I would appreciate any incentives that you may be able to encourage your child.
Thanks so much. I love this cooler weather!!

Things to do at home.
1. Moms, read the week 6 lesson in your EEL guide.
2. Memorize and copy chart G and H
3. Review charts A-F by writing or repeating orally
4. Task Sheet sentences at the end of week 6
5. You could also do a similar thing as I did in class with using coordinating conjunctions. Write up some basic sentences for your child and see if they can figure out if the conjunction is connecting words, phrases or clauses.
Some examples:
The boy ran a race, and the girl played ball.( connects clauses, compound sentence)
The dog and the cat jumped and played. (connects words, compound subject and compound verb)
David fought Goliath and won the battle.( connects words, compound verb)
Paul and Peter preached the gospel. (connects words, compound subject)
Jake chased the ball, but Tobey ate his treat. (connects clauses, compound sentence)
The dog ran down the street and through the woods. (connects phrases, compound phrase)

All of the sentences above that do not connect clause and that are not listed as compound sentence are simple sentences in structure.
Let me know if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment