Wednesday, September 4, 2013

EEL Week 1

I hope you all made it through class well. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
I know many of you may feel overwhelmed if this is your first year in Essentials. It is normal to feel this way.
Please let me know what I can do to help. I know I presented a lot of information this morning.
I am sending this update via email. I will also post it to the blog. Please subscribe to my Essentials page on our blog.
The address is ccofgreensboro@blogspot.com You will need to subscribe to Melissa's page and mine separately.

We covered Chart A in class. I know it is a lot of information. Our goal is to memorize the chart. If copying the whole chart is 
too overwhelming for your student, then please break the chart down in bite size amounts to have them memorize. The charts 
are a tool to be used. Please do not let them enslave you. You can break it down into pieces. If all of the information is new, maybe start
with having your child copy and memorize the 5 parts of a sentence and the 8 parts of speech. Once they have this down, then you
can have them do the 4 structures. Then move on to  the 4 sentence purposes. You can do each part separately if the whole of the chart overwhelms you.
Working on the memory work of Chart A is a main goal for this week. If you  have a tour 2 or 3 child you can work through the chart similarly to what I 
did in class.  You can give your child a sentence and have them give you the purpose, pattern and structure. You could also just have them give you purpose 
and structure if they do not understand pattern yet. Also, turn it around and give them a purpose, structure and /or pattern and have them give you a sentence.
This would be an advanced skill especially to include the pattern.  Another suggestion  is to give them sentences or phrases that may not be a sentence  and have
them go through the 5 parts of a sentence to determine if the group of words is a sentence.

I also showed you Chart B in class. I made some suggestions on how to use this chart. If you have a first year student, just have them copy the chart. If you
have a 2nd or 3rd tour child maybe have them go through and write a sentence for each pattern. This may also be a challenge. You could also go through it and
do the chart together making simple sentences for each pattern. 

The language "ticket" for coming into class does NOT have to be written. The answer just needs to be told to me entering the class. 

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Karen





No comments:

Post a Comment