Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Week 1: Welcome back!

What a wonderful afternoon today! Tutoring this class is such a privilege, and I thank you for allowing me to teach your children. :) They are gifts.

At home this week for EEL, focus on Week 1 Memory Work and the corresponding charts. You can lean heavily toward the memory work Q&A, or you can lean toward reviewing and completing the charts until they're "memorized." Either way works. Find the balance that fits your child's learning style.

Remember that the first two weeks of EEL are a broad overview of what we will be studying for the next 24 weeks. In other words, don't panic! We will slow down on Week 3. However, I would recommend mastery of the charts for advanced students, particularly those who will move to Challenge A next year. I know they can do it! Most of them are almost there already.

Transitioning to IEW, we completed the key word outline for the first paragraph of our overview on the Middle Ages. Each student seemed to grasp the assignment of choosing key words well, then using the outline to "retell" the paragraph in his or her own words. Before they begin writing at home, ask them to "retell" the graph to you once again and, using pages 8 and 9, brainstorm quality adjectives. Then write the rough draft, which a parent should proofread. Then write the final and complete the checklist. I'd recommend brainstorming and rough draft Wednesday, revision Thursday, final Friday, and checklist Monday. If your student plans to write two graphs (Level B), you could key word outline and brainstorm adjectives Wednesday, write rough drafts Thursday, revise Friday, and complete finals and the checklist Monday.

One thing I neglected to mention in class is that the vocabulary word(s) and quality adjectives should be underlined on the final paper. We will discuss the details regarding labeling our dress-ups in the coming weeks.

For the new families, please ask any questions you have. I'm afraid that I'm going to sometimes assume knowledge on your behalves and will leave you wondering what in the world I'm talking about! Forgive me in advance -- and please know you have liberty to interrupt me in class or call me at home.

Stay tuned for an Admission Ticket post. I've got to get myself in order there!

Again, thanks for a superb first class day. I'm looking forward to our year together with great excitement!

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment