Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Week 10 Admission Ticket

Okay. Today in class, we spent some time learning the principal parts of a verb, which are infinitive, present, past, present participle, and past participle. We also reviewed the four verb types: intransitive, transitive, helping and linking.

I told the students that their admission ticket for Week 10 would be to examine the verbs "lie" (meaning "to rest or recline") and "lay" ("to put or place") and determine which of the two can be used as a transitive verb and which can be used only as an intransitive verb. I'd like for them to do the same with the verbs "rise" and "raise."

I'm assigning this task
  1. to help them cement these particular meanings of each because they are often confused;
  2. to encourage memorization of the principal parts of each; and
  3. to require their brains to apply what they've learned about intransitive and transitive verbs AND S-Vi and S-Vt-DO sentence patterns.

SO, I'd like each student to bring to class a piece of paper on which they've written each of the four verbs, each verb's meaning, each verb's principal parts, whether the verb is transitive or intransitive, and a sentence that demonstrates its type. (Hint: Make them use each verb in a sentence and determine the sentence pattern to discover the verb type.)

Some may not believe themselves capable of discerning the differences. But they're clever. I know they can do it. Encourage them for me at home this week!

Incase you need the answers to help nudge them along, here they are:

Lie (to rest or recline): to lie, lie, lies, lay, lying, lain; intransitive only; I am lying on the sofa.

Lay (to put or place): to lay, lay, lays, laid, laying, laid; transitive; I laid the book on the table.

**If you ever find yourself wondering whether you should use a form of "lie" or a form of "lay," try substituting "recline" and "put." You wouldn't say, "I am putting on the sofa," or "I reclined the book on the table."

Rise (to get up, ascend, originate, increase): to rise, rise, rises, rose, rising, risen; intransitive only; The sun rises early each morning.

Raise (to lift up): to raise, raise, raises, raised, raising, raised; almost always transitive; "I raised the window" (S-Vt-DO) OR "The window raises easily" (S-Vi).

Questions? Email me!

No comments:

Post a Comment